On May 2, 2010 I had ONE bite of a cake with only a quarter cup of hazelnut and nearly died. That's right. I stopped breathing when I was only two years old. Shortly thereafter, I was diagnosed with a severe allergy to tree nuts. I'm now ten years old and since that first reaction, my mom or a paramedic has had to use the epi pen on me three more times. Yep - FOUR times in my short life I have stopped breathing and went into anaphylactic shock. THREE MORE times I've had a scratchy throat and difficulty breathing but got to the hospital before she had to adminster it. This doesn't include the many other times my lips have swelled like a duck or I have broken out in hives. The amazing thing is, only ONCE did I knowingly consume a nut. The rest have been by accidental cross contamination. Scary stuff, huh?
Someday I want to be a research doctor/allergist and find a cure for food allergies - but until they let me into medical school, I will do what I can to help researchers help me!
This year my mom turns 40. In honor of her birthday, I challenged her to run ANOTHER 1/2 marathon with me by her side. Only this time, I will be running 40 miles while she trains for a mere 13. That's right - between now and January 12 (the Disney half marathon...because is there any better place to run?) my mom will train for her half while I run forty miles AND raise $4,000 for Food Allergy Research & Education. Will you join me in #fightingforfoodfreedom?